For detailed, illustrated technique instructions about needed tools, assembly, filling, preparing a pastry bag and circle frosting, see our drop-down HOW-TO menu at the top of the page.
Caramel apples...they just scream Halloween party! Here's a version that includes a cupcake too! Take advantage of the beautiful apples that are available this season to make the topping on this cute and delicious cupcake. ♥ Holly
Caramel Apple Stuffed Cupcakes
1 spice cake box mix
Eggs (per box directions)
1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup of water (or 1/2 of the water listed on the box, whichever is less)
1 can of vanilla frosting
2 Tbsp (heaping) of caramel ice cream topping (we used Mrs. Richardson's butterscotch caramel topping)
Additional caramel sauce
2 cans vanilla frosting
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 red apple (we used a Rome apple)
2 Tbsp caramel ice cream topping
1 container red sparkling sugar
- Prepare spice cupcakes by adding eggs per box directions, half of the water called for or 1/2 cup (whichever is less), and one cup of applesauce. Scoop into cupcake tins. Bake for 18 minutes. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness; when it comes out clean, remove from oven. Let cool fully.
- While cupcakes bake, prepare filling and frosting. Add 2 Tbsp caramel sauce to 1 can of vanilla frosting for filling, set aside. Add ground cinnamon to 2 cans of frosting and mix well, set aside.
- Core cooled cupcakes.
- Put prepared caramel filling in a pastry bag with no tip inserted and cut tip off. Fill cooled cupcakes. Put a dollop of caramel sauce on top of filling in cupcake center.
- Insert 1M tip into chosen pastry bag. Fill bag with cinnamon frosting, cut opening and circle frost cupcakes.
- Apply red sparkling sugar around the edge of frosted cupcake.
- Slice apple, cut in half, and dip in caramel sauce. Place apple wedge onto cupcake and enjoy! Note: Moisture from the apple wedge will leach into frosting, causing it to slide, if placed too early; add it immediately before serving, or substitute with a dried apple.